Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Overpowered at huffing and puffing

I just got back from Farmageddon and wow are there ever a lot of games I haven't played.  We had trouble at times getting people to agree on a game, so I ended up learning probably ten new games over the course of the ten days.  One of the most awesome and ridiculous was Rampage, also called Terror in Meeple City.

The games involves a huge sturdy gameboard on which seven buildings are placed.  The buildings are made by putting four meeples down and placing a rectangular board on top of them, then doing that several more times to make multi story buildings.  The players are monsters intent on eating all the meeples and smashing the buildings.  You get a couple of action choices including dropping your monster token on buildings to knock them over, flicking tiny vehicles at buildings, and flicking your monster token to move around.

(Picture from https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1590125/terror-meeple-city)

It is all silly, hilarious fun.  The monsters can attack each other too, if they like.

However, there is one method of destruction that didn't work out so well.  Umbra was teaching us the game, and he described the last possible action called Breath Weapon.  You put your chin on the monster figure and breathe out hard, trying to blow down buildings.  Umbra told us that this wasn't nearly as effective as we would think, and we probably shouldn't bother.

Hah!  My breath isn't powerful you say?  I will show you!

I got my monster near a couple buildings and wound up my breath weapon.  The first breath flattened the building entirely and scattered meeples everywhere.  The second blasted another building mostly off the map and blasted meeples off the table.  This was bad, because the game penalizes you for knocking things all the way off the map.  I lost a bunch of health and points for doing it, but gained a bunch more for smashing everything.

After blowing down another building I realized that my breath weapon made the game silly.  Everything smashed too quickly, and it wasn't going to be fun for the other players.  At any rate the game ended after four turns or so with me victorious.  I managed to eat more soliders than anyone else, which was my special goal, and I knocked down tons of buildings to get points that way.

I don't know that I will actually buy Terror in Meeple City.  But damn was it fun for a single run through. 

I am curious, if anyone else has played it - did you also find breath weapons to be overpowered, or was that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment