Wednesday, August 12, 2020

I did not cast Fireball

Dungeons and Dragons is back on!  DnD is not the easiest activity to do while a pandemic is in place, but we have managed to make it work by sitting outdoors at a substantial distance from one another.  It seemed like it might be a total mess, but it actually has worked out just fine so far.

As usual though, I am causing Naked Man, my GM, no end of headaches.

Our first session back we were slogging our way through a funhouse dungeon in search of a MacGuffin.  After many traps and terrible monsters we found ourselves decending down a series of underground waterfalls to the bottom of the complex.  It was an arduous and dangerous journey down, and at the bottom we encountered a pack of undead ghouls.

Usually this would be where I would say "I cast Fireball" and we would roll initiative.  Before I could get to that though one of the ghouls and our party Bard started chatting one another up.  It seemed there might be some useful information to be gathered, so I played along, trying to get the ghoul to tell us useful things.

Talking worked!  The ghoul revealed the MacGuffin, and we managed to convince it that we were perfectly fine with it going to the world above to murder and destroy.  It planned to visit the surface and after inflicting terrible mayham and destruction it wanted to go back and bring the entire ghoul race up to continue the slaughter.  Somehow we convinced it that we weren't bothered by this, and we agreed as a group to use the MacGuffin.

Naked Man was perplexed.  He had expected us to murder the ghoul and take the MacGuffin, and began planning the inevitable sneak attack the ghoul would inflict on us at the worst possible time.

I knew that a backstab was going to happen.  No doubt at all.  But one thing I know for sure is that if there is going to be backstabbing, I am going to backstab first!

I told the ghoul that I wanted to cast a spell on the MacGuffin so we could figure out how to use it.  It said to me "You aren't going to cast a spell to engulf us in fire, are you?"  Naturally I answered "Well, that is exactly the sort of thing I could do, but I won't!"  This answer seemed to satisfy it, and Naked Man leaned forward eagerly, wondering what sort of divination I would cast.  I certainly wasn't going to Fireball them.  We were roleplaying, figuring things out with guile and trickery, not just blasting our way through!

I cast Wall of Force instead, and encased the ghoul in a bubble.  That way we could murder all of its friends while it stood there helpless.  A thinking man's gambit, not some clumsy Fireball!

We blew up the rest of the ghouls, and then let the named ghoul out of the bubble and killed it too.

Naked Man was flabbergasted, as apparently I had totally sold him on my willingness to be chummy with an undead monster planning a full scale undead invasion from the cold dark.  No way was I *ever* going to go back up that waterfall with a pile of undead in tow, just hoping they don't start chewing on me halfway up!

I totally respect the choice to turn an obvious fight into a roleplaying encounter.  That is fantastic.  But you gotta remember that players are rarely going to negotiate with the vanguard of an invading army in good faith, especially when that vanguard is undead.

Also having thought more about it I shouldn't have cast Wall of Force.  Fireball would have been far better.

Finally I should note that the ghoul told us nothing of use.  If I had just Fireballed it at the outset we would know just as much useful information.  So much for clever play.  It amazes me how often I think "I should just Fireball, screw this roleplaying" and it turns out after much roleplaying that I really should just have Fireballed from the outset.  

1 comment:

  1. That's not quite right - the ghoul repeatedly told you not to touch the big crystal, and yet your team repeatedly did just that, summoning a whole bunch of monsters to fight.

    Maybe if you'd played along, the ghoul would have been forced to reveal how to touch it without triggering the trap?

    Ghoul also clued you in that you'd passed the entrance to the tomb, keeping you from wandering the underdark for years (and me having to find a quick underdark adventure).

    And you learned of a kingdom of ghouls somewhere underground. Maybe that information will come in useful some day. Plus, it's full of rich world flavour!

    You're very judgey when it comes to evil monsters - so quick to slay them outright and assume the worst. Sometimes you need to ally with Stalin to take down Hitler. Clearly I have not yet come up with a scary enough Hitler to get you to do that.

    Challenge accepted.

    ReplyDelete